Barkan Wine Cellars (Hebrew: יקבי ברקן) is the second largest Israeli winery, producing 5-9 million bottles a year. The main building of the winery is located at Kibbutz Hulda, east of Tel Aviv. Barkan receives grapes from vineyards in the Golan Heights, Upper Galilee, Lower Galilee, Mount Tabor region, the Jerusalem Mountains and Mitzpe Ramon.
In 1899, Shlomo Friedman established the Friedman Winery in Petah Tikva to produce sweet Kiddush wine and brandy for the Jewish community in Palestine. Shlomo's son, Bezalel, took over the business and moved to Kiryat Matalon, Petah-Tikva's industrial zone, then a desolate sand dune. In 1964, the winery was acquired by Tnuva, which supplied the grapes, mainly Alicante and Carignane. The winery's name was changed to Tnuva-Friedman.
In 1971 Tnuva sold the winery to the Stock liqueur company, which produced mainly brandy, vodka, liqueurs, vermouth, and other non-wine alcoholic beverages. The winery in Petah Tikva was renamed Hamartef (The Cellar), and began producing wines from better grape varieties such as Cabernet Sauvignon, and Sauvignon Blanc.
In 1988, Stock built a new winery near the Israeli settlement of Ariel, in the Barkan Industrial