A Distillery is a producer of distilled spirits. It may also be a company, be part of a larger company, or even be an individual.
More about Best Distillery of All Time:
Best Distillery of All Time is a public top list created by Listnerd on rankly.com on November 27th 2012. Items on the Best Distillery of All Time top list are added by the rankly.com community and ranked using our secret ranking sauce. Best Distillery of All Time has gotten 726 views and has gathered 178 votes from 178 voters. O O
Best Distillery of All Time is a top list in the Food & Drinks category on rankly.com. Are you a fan of Food & Drinks or Best Distillery of All Time? Explore more top 100 lists about Food & Drinks on rankly.com or participate in ranking the stuff already on the all time Best Distillery of All Time top list below.
If you're not a member of rankly.com, you should consider becoming one. Registration is fast, free and easy. At rankly.com, we aim to give you the best of everything - including stuff like the Best Distillery of All Time list.
Get your friends to vote! Spread this URL or share:
Fortune Brands was a holding company founded in 1969 as American Brands and later renamed in 1997 and split apart in 2011. The corporate headquarters was in Deerfield, Illinois in the United States. The company historically had a significant diversity of product offerings. It announced on December 8, 2010, that it planned to focus on its liquor business, and to spin off or sell other parts of the company — including home furnishings and hardware and other golf products. The company then sold its Titleist and FootJoy product lines to FILA Korea. On October 3, 2011, it split the remainder of its business into two publicly traded companies: Fortune Brands Home & Security (NYSE: FBHS) and Beam Inc. (NYSE: BEAM).
The American Tobacco Company was founded in 1890, and on December 31, 1985 American Brands became its parent company. Brown & Williamson acquired the tobacco division in 1994.
In 1987 American Brands acquired ACCO, a holding company which owned several office supply subsidiaries, which included the Swingline brand. In 2005, the company spun off ACCO to shareholders, and immediately thereafter ACCO merged with General Binding Corporation. This merged company is now known as ACCO
Glengoyne Distillery is a whisky distillery continuously in operation since its founding in 1833 at Dumgoyne, north of Glasgow, Scotland. Glengoyne is unique in producing Highland single malt whisky matured in the Lowlands. Located upon the Highland Line, the division between the Highlands and Lowlands of Scotland, Glengoyne’s stills are in the Highlands while maturing casks of whisky rest across the road in the Lowlands. Unlike many malt whisky distilleries, Glengoyne does not use peat smoke to dry their barley, but instead uses warm air.
In the early nineteenth century, due to the heavy taxes on spirit production imposed by the government, many whisky producers were forced to operate illegally. The area around Glengoyne was full of hills and forests which provided excellent cover for the distillers. Records show that at least eighteen illicit whisky stills were operating in the area.
In the 1820s an Act of Parliament was passed, which reduced the cost of the license required to distil, and the duty payable on spirit sales. Shortly after the introduction of the 'Excise Act of 1823' (or 'Walsh Act') the first of these illicit stills came into official existence, with Glengoyne
Heaven Hill Distilleries, Inc., is a private family-owned and operated distillery company headquartered in Bardstown, Kentucky that produces and markets the Heaven Hill brand of Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey and a variety of other distilled spirits. Its current distillery facility, called the Heaven Hill Bernheim distillery, is in Louisville, Kentucky. It is the seventh-largest alcohol supplier in the United States, the second-largest holder of bourbon whiskey in the world, the only remaining family-owned distillery in Kentucky (not counting the Brown-Forman Corporation, which is publicly traded but more than two-thirds family-controlled), and the largest independent family-owned and operated producer and marketer of distilled spirits in the United States.
Heaven Hill was founded shortly after the repeal of Prohibition in 1935 by several investors, including a prominent distiller, Joseph L. Beam, and a member of the Shapira family. As the company developed, the five brothers of the Shapira family bought out the other investors. Joe Beam remained as Master Distiller, along with his youngest son, Harry. Descendants of the Shapira brothers own and run the company to this day.
Comber Whiskey was an Irish whiskey distilled in Comber, County Down, Northern Ireland. The whiskey was last distilled in 1956. However, some reserves were discovered and bottled in the 1980s as "Old Comber" and some of these bottles occasionally come up for sale.
Comber Distilleries was established in 1825. At the time of its closure it was the last pot still in Northern Ireland. The Cooperage Coffee Shop on Killinchy Street in the town occupies the last remaining Comber Distilleries building. The shop contains some of the company's casks.
The Kilchoman Distillery is a distillery that produces single malt Scotch whisky on Islay, an island of the Inner Hebrides. The distillery is situated on the western side of Islay, near the small settlement of Kilchoman. The location made it the distillery the most westerly in Scotland, until the Abhainn Dearg Distillery started distilling on the Isle of Lewis, which now makes them the most westerly distillery
The distillery began production in June 2005, and was the first to be built on the island of Islay in 124 years. The distillery uses barley grown on site at Rockside Farm and malted at the distillery, as well as malt from the Port Ellen maltings and releases separate bottlings depending on the source of the grain.
It is one of only six Scottish distilleries still doing traditional floor-maltings, and will be unique in having all parts of the process - growing barley, malting, distilling, maturing and bottling - carried out on Islay.
The distillery first filled casks on 14 December 2005 and the distillery began bottling 3 year old single malt in September 2009. Kilchoman also intends to release 5, 8, 10 and 12 Year old bottlings. The whisky will primarily age in bourbon casks,
Glenkinchie is a Scotch single malt whisky, produced at the Glenkinchie Distillery in East Lothian, Scotland. It is one of only three remaining Lowland malt whiskies in production.
Glenkinchie lies, as the name might suggest, in a glen of the Kinchie Burn near the village of Pencaitland, East Lothian. It is situated about 15 miles from Edinburgh. The distillery is set in farmland. The name 'Kinchie' is a corruption of 'De Quincy', the original owners of the land. Its origins date back to around 1825 when it was founded by brothers John and George Rate. The original name was Milton Distillery. The brothers probably renamed it in about 1837. In 1969 the distillery stopped malting its own grain and the malting floors were turned into a museum of malt whisky.
The Glenkinchie label was relatively little known until 1989, when United Distillers started marketing it under their Classic Malts brand.
The standard 10 year old Glenkinchie has now been replaced by the standard "12 year old". This is a fairly typical lowland whisky in that it is fresh and light in character, with notes of lemon and cut grass. A sweet nose and a hint of peat make this a good introduction to the world of single
Jameson is a single distillery Irish whiskey produced by a division of the French distiller Pernod Ricard. Jameson is similar in its adherence to the single distillery principle to the single malt tradition, but Jameson blends column still spirit with Single pot still whiskey, a combination of malted barley with unmalted or "green" barley distilled in a pot still.
The company was established in 1780 when John Jameson established the Bow Street Distillery in Dublin. Jameson was Scottish, a lawyer from Alloa who had married Margaret Haig, a sister of the brothers who founded the main Haig firms, and related to the Steins, a Scottish distilling family with interests in Dublin. Portraits of John and Margaret Jameson by Sir Henry Raeburn are in the collection of the National Gallery of Ireland.
Originally one of the six main Dublin Whiskeys, Jameson is now distilled in Cork, although vatting still takes place in Dublin. With annual sales of over 31 million bottles, Jameson is by far the best selling Irish whiskey in the world, as it has been sold internationally since the early 19th century when John Jameson along with his son (also named John) was producing more than a million gallons
Thai Beverage, better known as (ThaiBev, Thai: ไทยเบฟ) (SGX: Y92) is Thailand's largest and one of the largest beverage alcohol companies in South East Asia with distilleries in Thailand, Scotland, Poland, Ireland, China, and France. Listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange, Thai Beverage Plc has a market capitalisation in excess of US$4bn.
Thai Beverage Public Company Limited owns and distributes a number of significant brands including Chang beer and Mekhong and Sang Som rum. It also has significant operations in Europe producing malt Scotch whisky, vodkas, gins, and liqueurs with over 20 distilleries in Scotland, France, Poland, and Ireland.
Chang Beer, which first started production in March 1995 at the brewery in the district of Bang Ban, Ayutthaya Province, is the top-selling brand in Thailand. It managed to win 60% of market share in Thailand after a hard market fight with the previously biggest brand Singha. In 2006, the company's market share was 49% of the beer market, according to research company Canadean.
In 2004 a deal was agreed for Chang to sponsor Everton Football Club of the English Premier League. Together they initiated five projects set up in the aftermath of the
Aberlour is a distillery of speyside single malt Scotch whisky, located on Aberlour town, Strathspey, Scotland at the confluence of the rivers Lour and Spey near Ben Rinnes.
Aberlour is particularly influenced by its water source, flowing from Ben Rinnes, through the local peat and granite of the Lour valley and on to the distillery. It picks up scarce mineral deposits along its journey resulting in a naturally soft water. This water is used in all stages of production, contributes to Aberlours character.
The whisky comes in a variety of ages including a 10, 12, 15, 16, 18 and a rare 30 year old 1970 vintage malt, as well as a cask strength release (A'bunadh) with no age statement. Most of the variants are aged for a time in American ex-bourbon casks (a standard for most single malt Scotches). Aberlour also releases a range of malts that, after ageing in bourbon casks, are finished in casks that have been used previously to mature varieties of fortified wines. They also produce a line of sherry finishes specifically for the French market.
Aberlour whiskies have had some success at spirit ratings competitions, including the following awards at the San Francisco World Spirits
The Old Bushmills Distillery is a distillery in Bushmills, County Antrim, Northern Ireland. It is owned and operated by Diageo plc, and is a popular tourist attraction, with around 110,000 visitors per year. According to the company, a distillery by this name was first recorded in 1743, although at the time it was "in the hands of smugglers" (in a quote attributed to Victorian whiskey journalist Alfred Barnard).
All of the whiskey bottled under the Bushmills whiskey brand is produced at the Bushmills Distillery. A licence to distill in the area was granted to Sir Thomas Phillipps in 1608 by King James I, and the 1608 date is printed on the labels of the Bushmills brand whiskey.
The Bushmills Distillery claims to be—and is almost unanimously considered to be—the oldest licensed distillery in the world.
The area has a long tradition with distillation. According to one story, as far back as 1276, an early settler called Sir Robert Savage of Ards, before defeating the Irish in battle, fortified his troops with "a mighty drop of acqua vitae". In 1608, a licence was granted to Sir Thomas Phillipps by King James I to distill whiskey.
for the next seven yeres, within the countie of
The Port Ellen Distillery is located in Port Ellen on the isle of Islay, Scotland.
The distillery was built in the 1820s, and was acquired by Distillers Company in 1925. The distillery closed in 1983, although supplies of the malt are still available. The distillery houses a malting which continues to supply all Islay distilleries, as per an agreement signed in 1987. Due to the closing of the distillery, Port Ellen whisky is becoming more and more collectable.
Bowmore ( /boʊˈmɔr/ BOH-mor) is a distillery that produces scotch whisky on the isle of Islay, an island of the Inner Hebrides. The distillery, which lies on the South Eastern shore of Loch Indaal, is one of the oldest in Scotland and is said to have been established in 1779. The distillery is owned by Morrison Bowmore Distillers Ltd, a holding company owned by Japanese drinks company Suntory. Morrison Bowmore also own the Auchentoshan and Glen Garioch distilleries and produce the McClelland's Single Malt range of bottlings.
The Bowmore Distillery was established in 1779 by a local merchant, John P. Simpson, before passing into the ownership of the Mutter family, a family of German descent. James Mutter, head of the family, also had farming interests and was Vice Consul representing the Ottoman Empire, Portugal, and Brazil through their Glasgow consulates. There are no records that pinpoint the date Mutter acquired the distillery from Simpson. Mutter would introduce a number of innovative processes to the distillery during his tenure and even had a small iron steam ship built to import barley and coal from the mainland and to export the whisky to Glasgow. A bottle of 1850 Bowmore
The Balvenie Distillery is a Speyside single malt Scotch whisky distillery in Dufftown, Scotland owned by William Grant & Sons.
William Grant was born on 19 December 1839 in his father's house in Dufftown. At seven he was sent to augment the family income by herding cattle at a farm on the upper reaches of the River Deveron. Apprenticed to a shoemaker and after a spell as a clerk, William took a job in 1866 as a book-keeper at Mortlach distillery. Immediately he set about learning the art of distilling and in a short time he was appointed clerk and manager.
After almost twenty years of learning the art of distilling, William Grant resigned from his job at the Mortlach distillery and bought a field beneath the towering shadow of Balvenie Castle. He then drew up plans for his distillery and the foundation stone was laid in the autumn of 1886.
William Grant remained active in the company until his death in 1923 at the age of 83.
In early 1892 work began to convert an 18th century mansion (Balvenie New House) into a distillery. The building took fifteen months to complete and on 1 May 1893, the first distillation took place at the Balvenie Distillery.
In 2007, The Balvenie's Global
Glenflagler Distillery, (also knowns as Glen Flagler) located in Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, Scotland, has a history dating back to 1892 and produces the whisky Glen Flagler.
In its modern form Glen Flagler distillation commenced on the 25 February 1965.
The Glenflagler distillery was subsequently closed in July 1985.
Glen Flager was described by the New York Times as "one of the world's best whiskies".
Its aged bottles command prices of between £400-£1000.
Glenora Distillers is a distiller based in Glenville, Nova Scotia, Canada (on Cape Breton Island). Their most prominent product is Glen Breton Rare, the only Scottish-style single malt whisky made in Canada, which has been the subject of a trademark suit over the use of the word glen. They also make several specialty whiskies and rum, and operate the Glenora Inn & Distillery as a tourist attraction and bed and breakfast.
Glen Breton Rare is the signature whiskey brand of Glenora Distillers. The 10-year-old whiskey is aged in American oak casks. It was featured in the book, 101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die. In November 2000, an 8-year-old version of the Glen Breton Rare was released. In June 2010, a 15-year-old version of the Glen Breton single malt whiskey was released. It was named "Battle of the Glen", commemorating the distillery's legal battle over the use of the word "glen".
Glenora Distillery produces a single malt whiskey aged in oak barrels used for Jost Vineyard's Ortega Ice Wine. The Glen Breton Rare Ice is available in 10, 15 and 17-year-old versions.
On January 24, 2007, CBC News reported that the Canadian Trademarks Opposition Board rejected the arguments of the
The Loch Lomond Single Malt is a Highland Single Malt Scotch whisky produced by the Loch Lomond Distillery in Alexandria, Scotland, near Loch Lomond.
The real Loch Lomond brand was founded in Glasgow in the 1840s by Gabriel Bulloch and became a successful independent brewer with its own retail outlets until 1984. In 1965 the distillery relocated to its current premises on the site of a disused dyeing plant. It changed hands in 1987 and underwent a renovation by its new owners, acquiring a Coffey still in 1993 in order to produce grain whiskey.
In recent times the distillery has become a tourist attraction due to its association with the Tintin comics and features an original whisky tank wagon from the steam age painted in an authentic black and yellow livery derived from the freight train in Herge's book.
Loch Lomond's current single malts include the original beloved by Captain Haddock, Inchmurrin and Old Roshdhu. Lesser known products include Loch Lomond HP, Craiglodge, Croftengea, Glen Douglas and Inchmoan. Additionally Loch Lomond produces several blends: Loch Lomond Single Blend, High Commissioner Blended Whisky and Scots Earl blended whisky.
In later books of the comic book
Springbank Distillery is one of the last surviving producers of Campbeltown Single Malts. The distillery, located on the southern Kintyre peninsula, produces three distinct types of single malt Scotch whisky.
Springbank is one of only two distilleries in Scotland to perform every step in the whisky making process, from malting the barley to bottling the spirit, on same premises: the other is Kilchoman Distillery who also grow their own barley. While a few others still maintain the first step in the process, the malting of barley (which is becoming more rare), Springbank also bottles their own whisky.
Springbank is one of the few remaining family owned distilleries. Nearly all of its whisky is sold as a single malt, with little of it finding its way into blends. Most blends are produced by larger conglomerates who tend to use the single malts from the distilleries that they own in their blends. Springbank produces two of its own blends, 5 year old Campbeltown Loch, and Mitchell's 12 year old.
The Glenlivet Distillery is a distillery near Ballindalloch in Moray, Scotland that produces single malt Scotch whisky. It is the oldest legal distillery in the parish of Glenlivet, and the production place of the Scottish whisky of the same name. It is described in packaging and advertising as "The single malt that started it all". It was founded in 1824 and has operated almost continuously since. The distillery remained open throughout the Great Depression and its only closure came during World War II. The Glenlivet distillery has grown in the post-war period to become one of the biggest single malt distilleries in order to keep up with global demand; The Glenlivet brand is the biggest selling malt whisky in the United States and the second biggest selling single malt brand globally.
Today, the distillery is owned by the French alcoholic beverages company Pernod Ricard and they oversee the distillery's production of 5,900,000 proof litres per annum. The majority of this – enough for 6 million bottles – is sold as The Glenlivet single malt, with the remainder being used in Pernod Ricard's blended whisky brands.
The distillery draws water from Josie's Well and other springs a short
Dalwhinnie distillery, in the Highland village of Dalwhinnie in Scotland, produces Single malt Scotch whisky classified amongst the Highland Single Malts. The distillery was founded with the name of the nearby town Strathspey in the late 1890s. The site was chosen for its access to clear spring water from Lochan-Doire-Uaine and abundant peat from the surrounding bogs. Set in splendid mountain scenery, Dalwhinnie is the highest distillery in Scotland. The name Dalwhinnie is derived from Gaelic word Dail-coinneeamh, which means meeting place, referring to the meeting of ancient cattle drovers' routes through the mountains.
In 1897, John Grant, George Sellar and Alexander Mackenzie founded the Strathspey distillery. Production started in 1898 but unfortunately the partnership was bankrupt the same year.
The distillery was sold to AP Blyth in 1898 for his son who renamed it Dalwhinnie. Later in 1905 the Cook & Bernheimer took control over the distillery. The distillers were looking for malts to produce blended whiskies for the US market. This was the very first US investment in the Scotch whisky industry. The US adventure continued until the prohibition in the US in 1920 and the
Oban Distillery (Scottish Gaelic: Taigh-stail an Òbain) is a whisky distillery in the Scottish west coast port of Oban. It is one of the few distilleries to have been built, in 1794, before the actual town which sprung up later in the surrounding craggy harbor. The distillery has only two pot stills, making it one of the smallest in Scotland, producing a whisky that has been described as having a 'West Highland' flavor that falls between the dry, smoky style of the Scottish islands and the lighter, sweeter malts of the Highlands. The Oban distillery is currently owned by Diageo.
The distillery was built in 1794 by the brothers John and Hugh Stevenson and operated by them until 1866, when it was bought by Peter Curnstie. It was then acquired by Walter Higgin in 1883 and rebuilt. In 1898, Alexander Edward, who also owned Aultmore Distillery, bought out Higgin. In its first year of operation, it suffered major losses when a major blending company, Pattison's of Leith, went under. In 1923, Oban was sold to Dewars and joined Distillers Company with that company in 1925. It fell silent from 1931 until 1937 and again from 1969 to 1972 when a new still house was built. In 1989 a new
Arran Single Malt is a Single Malt Scotch whisky distilled by the Arran Distillery, Lochranza, Scotland, the only distillery on the Isle of Arran. In 1994 Arran Distillers was founded by Harold Currie, former director of Chivas with the intention of building a distillery on Arran. Arran Distillery was proper was founded in 1995, and started production the same year.
There used to be about fifty distilleries on the island, but most of them were "moonlight" or illegal distilleries. The most recent legally founded distillery on Arran, called 'Lagg', closed in 1837.
Until recently a proportion of the casks were stored in the warehouses of Springbank, due to a lack of room in the distillery, and the legal impossibility of extending the current warehouses at the Arran distillery. However, the distillery now has a revolutionary storage warehouse, on site, that allows easier access to barrels. The distillery offers a cask purchase scheme which offers private individuals the opportunity to own their own cask of whisky, which can be stored on site at the distillery.
The Arran Distillery is a patron of the World Burns Federation and as such has created a Robert Burns Single Malt and Robert
Jim Beam is a brand of bourbon whiskey produced in Clermont, Kentucky. It is currently one of the best selling brands of bourbon in the world. Since 1795 (interrupted by Prohibition), seven generations of the Beam family have been involved in whiskey production for the company that produces the brand, which was given the name "Jim Beam" in 1933 in honor of James B. Beam, who rebuilt the business after Prohibition ended. The Jim Beam Bourbon brand is now owned and produced by Beam Inc. (NYSE: BEAM), which is a company formed on October 4, 2011 from part of the holding company formerly known as Fortune Brands. Beam is headquartered in the suburbs of Chicago, in Deerfield, Illinois. The Beam / Noe family that founded the business is still involved in the company. The company produces several varieties of bourbon and other spirits, as well as food products that include bourbon as an ingredient.
During the late 18th century, members of the Boehm family, who eventually changed the spelling of their surname to "Beam", emigrated from Germany and settled in Kentucky.
Johannes "Reginald" Beam (1770–1834) was a farmer that began producing whiskey in the style that became known as bourbon.
The Speyside is a scotch whisky distillery near the hamlet of Drumguish in the Speyside region of Scotland, close to the village of Kingussie.
Founded in 1990 by George Christie, the Speyside is one of the younger distilleries in Scotland. Despite being scotch whisky neophytes, this distillery prides itself on old-fashioned methods and sacrificing production numbers for quality.
Two pot stills of traditional shape were installed. And because massive production was never one of George's objectives, they are some of the smallest in Scotland. The Glenspey mash tun was the very last fitted by Newmill engineering before they closed down. Though small the distillery can produce 500,000 litres of alcohol per annum. The distillery is the most southern on Speyside and takes its water directly from the River Tromie.
This distillery seems to have gone out of business. The telephone number from its website (0141 647 4464) returns the message that the "call cannot be completed as dialed" (31 July 2012) and the email address returns an error.
The Speyside distillery offers many varieties of scotch whisky in addition to many other distilled spirits. Their ten-year single malt scotch whisky (can
Benromach is a Speyside distillery founded by Duncan McCallum and F.W. Brickman in 1898 and currently owned and run by Gordon and Macphail of Elgin. It is situated near Forres in Morayshire and is fed with spring water from the Chapelton Springs in the Romach Hills beside Forres.
Duncan MacCallum and F.W. Brickmann founded the Benromach Distillery Company in 1898. Duncan MacCallum had previously been working at the Glen Nevis Distillery in Campbeltown and FW Brickmann was a spirit broker in Leith, Edinburgh. Construction work started at the site of Benromach Distillery in 1898 however due to the depression in the Scotch Whisky industry in 1898 the distillery did not start producing whisky until 1900 but closed the same year due to a lack of money.
In 1911 Benromach was acquired by the London based Harvey McNair & Co who continued distilling until the onset of the First World War. After the war Benromach was acquired by Benromach Distillery Ltd and was run by this new private company until 1925. In 1938 Benromach was acquired by Associated Scottish Distilleries Ltd which later became a part of Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd. Between 1966 and 1974 the distillery was modernised and
Glenmorangie (pronounced with the stress on the second syllable: listen (help·info); the toponym is believed to derive from either Gaelic gleann mor na sith "vale of tranquillity" or gleann mór innse "vale of big meadows") is a distillery in Tain, Ross-shire, Scotland that produces single malt Scotch whisky. The distillery is owned by The Glenmorangie Company Ltd, whose main product is the range of Glenmorangie single malt whisky. Glenmorangie is categorised as a Highland distillery and boasts the tallest stills in Scotland. It is available in Original, 18, and 25 year old bottlings, special cask bottlings, cask finishes, extra matured bottlings, and a range of special edition bottlings. The Glenmorangie Company also owns the Ardbeg Distillery on Islay and The Scotch Malt Whisky Society based in Leith, Edinburgh.
Legend tells that alcoholic beverages of one kind or another were produced in and around Tain since the Middle Ages.
It is said that the production of alcohol started at Morangie Farm in 1738, when a brewery was built that shared the farm's water source, the Tarlogie Spring. A former distillery manager, William Matheson, acquired the farm in 1843 and converted the
Barton Brands, Ltd. was a company that produced many distilled spirits and liquors. In 2009, it became part of the Sazerac Company of New Orleans.
Some of its better-known brands and products included 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, Kentucky Tavern, and Very Old Barton Bourbons; Fleischmann's, Skol and Wave Vodkas; the 99 line of schnapps (99 Apples, 99 Bananas, etc.); Calypso and Barton rums; Capitan, El Toro and Montezuma tequilas and Mr. Boston and Fleischmann's Gins. The company owned dozens of other brands and specializes in reasonably priced spirits.
Jack Daniel's is a brand of sour mash Tennessee whiskey that is the best selling whiskey in the world. It is known for its square bottles and black label. It is produced in Lynchburg, Tennessee by the Jack Daniel Distillery, which has been owned by the Brown-Forman Corporation since 1956. Despite being the location of a major operational distillery, Jack Daniel's home county of Moore is a dry county, so the product is not available for consumption at stores or restaurants within the county, although the distillery does sell commemorative bottles of whiskey.
Although the product generally meets the regulatory criteria for classification as a straight bourbon, the company disavows this classification and markets it simply as Tennessee whiskey rather than as Tennessee bourbon.
According to the Jack Daniel's website, founder Jasper Newton "Jack" Daniel was born in September 1846, although seemingly no one knows the exact date because the birth records were destroyed in a courthouse fire. If the 1846 date is correct, he might have become a licensed distiller at the age of 20, as the distillery claims a founding date of 1866. Other records list his birth date as September 5, 1846, and in
Bomberger's Distillery, later known as Michter's Distillery, may at the time of its closing have been the oldest distillery in the United States. The complex, located near Schaefferstown, Pennsylvania represents the transformation of whiskey distilling from an agricultural enterprise into a large-scale industry. The still house, warehouse, and jug house date from about 1840.
In 1753, John and Michael Shenk, Swiss Mennonite farmers, began distilling rye whiskey at the site. Sometime before 1860, Abraham Bomberger, a Pennsylvania Dutchman, purchased the distillery from the Shenk family. The distillery closed in 1919. With the lifting of Prohibition, Pennco Distillers acquired the property and made whiskey until 1978, when the distillery was sold to Michter's. The distillery closed in 1989 after Michter's filed for bankruptcy.
Bomberger's was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975, and was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1980.
According to one of Y. Fowler's websites the site is no longer a National Historic Landmark; however this appears to be incorrect as it is still listed as one by the National Park Service. It is possible that there was a
Cooley Distillery is an Irish whiskey distillery, located on the Cooley Peninsula in County Louth, converted in 1987 from an older potato alcohol plant by John Teeling. On 16 December 2011 Beam Inc. announced plans to purchase Cooley for around €71 million. The sale closed on 17 January 2012.
Cooley has also released a poitín, available at a single store in Dublin and the Dublin airport, with the intention of expanding production to release it in other markets such as the US.
The distillery features both column stills and pot stills for distillation. Unlike most other Irish whiskeys, which are usually distilled three times, Cooley's products are generally distilled twice, as the third distillation is thought to remove some of the flavor components.
Cooley has won over 300 medals since opening. Other awards they have received include "European Distiller of the Year" in 2008 and 2009 and "Distillery of the Year" in 2008 from the International Wine and Spirit Competition and "Distillery of the Year" in 2010 from Malt Advocate magazine.
Individual item awards for Cooley's products include an IWSC "Best in Class" for Kilbeggan in 2005, an IWSC Gold Medal for The Tyrconnell in 2004 IWSC
Isle of Jura Single Malt is a Scotch whisky distilled at the Isle of Jura Distillery located on the island of Jura located off the West Coast of Scotland. The island belongs to a group of islands collectively known as the Inner Hebrides. The distillery is owned by United Breweries Group of India.
Even though the distillery didn't open until 1810, the people of Jura were entitled to distil whisky for personal consumption, until a ban was introduced in 1781.
As legend has it, Laird Archibald Campbell awoke in the middle of the night to see the ghostly figure of an old woman hovering over his bed. She berated him over the lack of the golden liquid on the island. It was this apparition that persuaded him to reverse his punitive measure and erect a distillery at an old smugglers' cave in the hamlet of Craighouse in 1810.
But the distillery fell into disrepair and it wasn't until the 1960s when, in a bid to entice new inhabitants to the island, two local estate owners Robin Fletcher and Tony Riley-Smith rebuilt the distillery, employing architect William Delme-Evans. By 1963 their work was complete; they had introduced taller stills allowing the distillery to create an eclectic mix of
Balmenach Distillery was established in 1824 by James MacGregor, from a family of farmers and illicit distillers who resided in Tomintoul.
Situated in the district of Cromdale on the banks of the River Spey the distillery stands in beneath the nearby hill of Tom Lethendry where the Jacobites were defeated in the Battle of Cromdale in 1690.
Balmenach Distillery is one of the earliest distilleries sanctioned as a result of the Excise Act 1823. In 1897 the distillery was purchased by Glenlivet. and was served by its own railway branch off the Strathspey Railway until 1969. The distillery closed in 1941 and re-opened in 1947, following expansion of its facilities.
The Distillery is owned by Inver House Distillers Limited, a privately owned distiller whose other distilleries include: Speyburn-Glenlivet Distillery; Knockdhu Distillery; Balblair Distillery; and, Old Pulteney Distillery.
Glen Moray Distillery nestles on the banks of the River Lossie in
the city of Elgin, the capital of Speyside, a region synonymous with
malt whisky. Glen Moray Single Malt Whisky has been distilled here
since 1897 by a small dedicated team of craftsmen. In over a century of
distilling at Glen Moray, much has changed, however the ingredients,
processes and skills of those responsible for producing Glen Moray
Perhaps some day we can also welcome you in person at Glen Moray, in
the meantime why not find out more about our distillery, our finest
quality malt whisky, our people and what's been happening recently.
Balblair Distillery is a Scotch whisky distillery located in Edderton, Ross-shire, Scotland.
Originally founded in 1790, the distillery was rebuilt in 1895 by the designer Charles C Doig to be closer to the Edderton Railway Station on the Inverness and Ross-shire Railway line. However, so good was the original water source that the rebuilt distillery chose to ignore a nearby burn in favour of the original Ault Dearg burn. To this day, the Balblair Distillery continues to use this original water source.
John Ross, the founder, ran Balblair as a thriving business and in 1824 he was joined by his son, Andrew. The distillery stayed in the Ross family until 1894 when the tenancy was taken over by Alexander Cowan. In 1948 the freehold was bought by Robert Cumming, who promptly expanded the distillery and increased production. Cumming ran the distillery until he retired in 1970 when he sold it to Hiram Walker. In 1996 Balblair Distillery was purchased by Inver House Distillers Limited.
Balblair has one of the oldest archives in distilling, with the first ledger entry dated 25 January 1800. John Ross himself penned that first entry, which read: “Sale to David Kirkcaldy at Ardmore, one
Bunnahabhain (Scottish Gaelic: Bun na h-Abhainn) is a village on the northeast coast of the isle of Islay, which is in the Argyll and Bute area of Scotland, in the Inner Hebrides group of islands. It is also the name of a Scotch whisky distillery located there.
The village was established in 1881 to house the distillery's workers, and the distillery still employs the majority of the village's workers.
The surrounding area is also steeped in local history. The ruined village of Margadale, nestled between Margadale Hill and Scarbh Bhreac, was once the busiest marketplace on Islay, with people coming from all over the island for cattle sales.
The name of the village comes from the Scottish Gaelic name Bun na h-Abhainn, meaning Foot of the River.
The distillery in the village produces The Bunnahabhain (Boon-a-havn) which is one of the milder single malt Islay whiskies available and its taste varies greatly from other spirits to be found on the island of Islay, off the west coast of Scotland. The distillery was built in 1881 and sits below the northeast tip of the island just north of Port Askaig. It overlooks a narrow belt of water (the Sound of Islay) with a view of the neighbouring
Highland Park Single Malt is a Scotch whisky distilled by Highland Park Distillery, Kirkwall in Orkney, the most northerly whisky distillery in Scotland, half a mile farther north than that at Scapa. Blackwood Distillery in Shetland presently produces only gin and vodka (2010).
Highland Park has performed well at international spirit ratings competitions. Its 25 year single malt scotch, for example, received double gold medals at the 2007 and 2009 San Francisco World Spirits Competition.
The distillery was founded in 1798, presumably by Magnus Eunson. The name of this whisky does not refer to the area of Scotland known as The Highlands, from which Orkney is excluded, but rather to the fact that the distillery was founded on an area called 'High Park' distinguished from a lower area nearby.
Highland Park is one of the few distilleries to malt its own barley, using locally cut peat from Hobbister Moor. The peat is then mixed with heather before being used as fuel. The malt is peated to a level of 20 parts per million phenol and then mixed with unpeated malt produced on the Scottish mainland.
In 1984, Highland Park was the only whisky ever to have scored a rating of 100% by the
New Holland Brewing Company is a company located in Holland, Michigan. The company operates a microbrewery, located on the city's northside, and a distillery, specialty brew house, restaurant, and pub in downtown Holland. The company's beers are sold at its restaurant and are distributed throughout Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina and South Carolina.
Jason Spaulding and Brett VanderKamp, the founders of New Holland Brewing Company, grew up together in Midland, Michigan, and later attended Hope College. In college Spaulding and VanderKamp cultivated a love of homebrewing, which would bring them together again shortly after graduation. Their business plan took two years to formulate, but once complete, the pair quickly lined up investors, and in 1996 New Holland was founded in Holland, Michigan.
Originally, the duo's goal was to produce beer that was characteristically unique to Western Michigan. Their beer was well received, and the company increased production to just over 5,000 US beer barrels (590,000 l) in 2006. In 2007 the company increased production to over 7,500 US bbl (880,000
Cragganmore is a Scotch whisky distillery situated in the village of Ballindalloch in Banffshire in Scotland.
The distillery was founded in 1869 by John Smith on land leased from Sir George Macpherson-Grant. The site was chosen by Smith both for its proximity to the waters of the Craggan burn and because it was close to the Strathspey Railway. Smith was an experienced distiller, having already been manager of the Macallan, Glenlivet, Glenfarclas and Wishaw distilleries.
The Strathspey Railway is now disused and forms the Speyside Way long-distance walking route.
Cragganmore is marketed by United Distillers under their Classic Malts brand.
The stills used in the second distillation (the spirit still) of Cragganmore whisky are unique in having a flat top and being relatively short. The stills' shape has a definite effect on the taste and aroma (nose) of the whisky.
Laura Vernon is the current master distiller.
The San Francisco World Spirits competition has reacted favorably to the Cragganmore 10-year (Sherry Cask) and 12-year expressions, awarding the former with a double gold medal in 2005 and the latter with two double gold, one gold and three silver medals between 2005 and 2010.
Laphroaig (/ləˈfrɔɪɡ/ lə-FROYG), is an Islay single malt Scotch whisky distillery and brand name. It is named for the area of land at the head of Loch Laphroaig on the south coast of the Isle of Islay. The meaning of the toponym is unknown but a commonly suggested derivation implies the elements "lag" (Gaelic: hollow), "breid" (Norse: broad) and "vik" (Norse: bay), implying an original Gaelic form something like "Lag Bhròdhaig" (the hollow of Broadbay). The name may be related to a placename on the east coast of Islay, "Pròaig", again suggested as meaning "broad bay". The distillery and brand are owned and operated by the American spirits company Beam Inc.
The Laphroaig distillery was established in 1815 by Donald and Alexander Johnston. The Johnstons who founded Laphroaig were from the Clan Donald and are likely to be from the MacIain of Ardnamurchan branch of the clan. The family anglicized their name to Johnston.
Their descendants ran the distillery until 1887, when it passed to the Hunter family. They in turn ran the distillery until 1954, when Ian Hunter (who had no children) died and left the distillery to one of his managers, Bessie Williamson.
The distillery was sold to
Bladnoch Distillery is a Single malt Scotch whisky distillery in south west Scotland. It is one of only three remaining Lowland distilleries, and is located at Bladnoch, near Wigtown, Wigtownshire, Dumfries and Galloway. The distillery is situated on the banks of the River Bladnoch, and is the most southerly whisky distillery in Scotland.
The distillery was founded by John and Thomas McClelland in 1817 and during the period 1823 - 1826 produced 28,956 imperial gallons (131,640 L) of whisky, an average of 7,239 imperial gallons (32,910 L) per annum, and in the year 1826 - 1827 this had risen to 9,792 imperial gallons (44,520 L).
By 1845 twenty workers, exclusive of tradesmen, were employed in converting 16,000 bushels of barley per annum into spirit. In 1878 the distillery was enlarged and modernised, presumably to cope with rising production. By 1887 the site occupied 2 acres (8,100 m) with a further 50 acres (200,000 m) being farmed by the proprietor, who was the son and nephew of the founders; the output had risen considerably to 51,000 imperial gallons (230,000 L) per annum.
In 1887 the distillery was described, by John Barnard on his tour of distilleries, as:
During the 1890s
Buffalo Trace Distillery is a distillery located in Frankfort, Kentucky. It has historically been known by several names, including most notably, the George T. Stagg Distillery and the O.F.C. Distillery. Its namesake bourbon brand, Buffalo Trace Kentucky Straight Bourbon whiskey, was introduced in August 1999. The Buffalo Trace Distillery stands as the oldest (not necessarily continuously-operating) distilling site in the United States. Located on what the company claims was once an ancient buffalo crossing on the banks of the Kentucky River in Franklin County, the distillery is named after the American bison that created paths followed by America's early pioneers. The Sazerac Company, a New Orleans, Louisiana-based producer and importer, purchased the distillery in 1992 and is now the parent company of Buffalo Trace Distillery.
The distillery is listed on the National Register of Historic Places under its old name, George T. Stagg Distillery.
The Buffalo Trace Distillery is home to the world's smallest bonded storage warehouse, Warehouse V. This warehouse only stores a single barrel of whiskey at a time.
Records indicate that distilling started on the site that is now the Buffalo
Edradour (Scottish Gaelic: Eadar Dhà Dhobhar, "between two rivers") is a Highland single malt whisky made in Pitlochry, Perthshire, from the distillery of the same name, which is reputed to be the smallest in Scotland.
Established in 1825, the distillery was traditionally run by three men but now there are just two. Only twelve casks are produced each week. They have a tour which costs £7.50 and includes a dram.
The stills are the smallest in use of any distillery in Scotland. Were they any smaller, they would be deemed by HM Revenue and Customs to be portable, with the implicit capacity for illegal production.
A variety of whiskies are available from the distillery. Most are chill-filtered, a process by which the esters and oils are removed, producing a cleaner look to the whisky, which when chilled or has ice added to it does not turn cloudy. There is also a non-chill-filtered 12-year-old malt, some of which goes into the "House of Lords" and "Clan Campbell" blends.
The Glenfiddich Distillery is a Speyside single malt Scotch whisky distillery owned by William Grant & Sons in Dufftown, Scotland. Glenfiddich means ‘Valley of the Deer' in Gaelic, hence the presence of a stag symbol on Glenfiddich bottles.
The Glenfiddich Distillery was founded in 1886 by William Grant in Dufftown, Scotland, in the valley of the River Fiddich. The Glenfiddich single malt whisky first ran from the stills on Christmas Day, 1887.
Following difficult times in the 1960s and '70s, many small, independent distillers were bought up or went out of business. In order to survive, W. Grant & Sons expanded their production of the drink, and introduced advertising campaigns, a visitors' centre and from 1957 packaged their whisky in distinctive triangular bottles.
Later, W. Grant & Sons was one of the first distilleries to package its bottles in tubes and gift tins, as well as recognising the importance of the duty-free market for spirits. This marketing strategy was successful, and Glenfiddich has now become the world's best-selling single malt. It is sold in 180 countries, and accounts for about 35% of single malt sales.
The water source is the Robbie Dhu springs. Glenfiddich
The Glen Moray Glenlivet Distillery is a distillery in Speyside, Scotland that produces single malt scotch whisky. The distillery was sold in 2008 by the Glenmorangie Company Ltd to La Martiniquaise.
Glen Moray started life as a brewery run by Robert Thorne & Sons, and was converted to a distillery with 2 stills in 1897. Following a fire and extensive rebuilding program at their Aberlour Distillery, the company focused on production of Aberlour whisky, allowing the Glen Moray distillery to run down. It was closed in 1910. The distillery was purchased by the owners of the Glenmorangie Distillery, the MacDonald and Muir families at some time during the 1920s. The distillery received 2 additional stills in 1958 and at present has an annual capacity of around 2,000,000 litres.
The company now belongs to La Martiniquaise which uses its production primarily for blended whisky.
Glen Moray offerings have performed modestly at international Spirit ratings competitions. Its 12 and 16-year single malts, for example, have received silver medals at the 2007, 2009 and 2010 San Francisco World Spirits Competition.
Ardbeg Distillery (Scottish Gaelic: Taigh-stail Àirde Beaga) is a Scotch whisky distillery on the south coast of the isle of Islay, Argyll and Bute, Scotland, in the Inner Hebrides group of islands. The distillery claims to produce the peatiest Islay whisky and uses malted barley sourced from the maltings in Port Ellen. It is one of the fastest growing Islay distilleries.
The Ardbeg distillery has been producing whisky since 1798, and began commercial production in 1815. For most of its history, Ardbeg's whisky was produced for use in blends, rather than as a single malt. By 1886 the distillery produced 300,000 gallons of pure alcohol per year, and employed 60 workers. Production was halted in 1981, but resumed on a limited basis in 1989 and continued at a low level through late 1996, during the period when Ardbeg was owned by Hiram Walker. The distillery was bought and reopened in 1997 by Glenmorangie plc (owned by the French company LVMH) with production resuming on June 25, 1997 and full production resuming in 1998. The distillery was reopened by Ed Dodson in 1997 and handed over to Stuart Thomson, who managed it from 1997 to 2006. Michael "Mickey" Heads, an Islay native and
Caol Ila Distillery (/kʌl ˈiːlə/; Scottish Gaelic: Taigh-stail Caoil Ìle) is a Scotch whisky distillery near Port Askaig on the isle of Islay, Scotland.
Caol Ila is derived from Gaelic Caol Ìle (pronounced [kʰɯlˠ̪ˈiːlə]) for "Sound of Islay" (lit. "Islay Strait") in reference to the distillery's location overlooking the strait between Islay and Jura. It was founded in 1846 by Hector Henderson. The distillery did not fare well, and changed hands in 1854 when Norman Buchanan, owner of the Isle of Jura Distillery, took over.
In 1863 the business was acquired by Bulloch Lade & Co, of Glasgow, traders in whisky stocks. By the 1880s over 147,000 gallons of whisky were produced there each year.
In 1920 Bulloch Lade went into voluntary liquidation, and a consortium of businessmen formed the Caol Ila Distillery Company Ltd. In 1927 the Distillers Company acquired a controlling interest in Caol Ila, and in 1930 Scottish Malt Distillers Ltd obtained ownership of all the shares. The company eventually became part of Diageo.
The distillery closed during World War II, from 1942 to 1945, because of wartime restrictions on the supply of barley to distillers. From then, production continued until
Talisker is an Island Single Malt Scotch whisky produced by the Talisker Distillery, Carbost, Scotland; the only distillery on the Isle of Skye. The distillery is operated by United Distillers and Vintners for Diageo, and is marketed as part of their Classic Malts series. The brand is sold as a premium whisky.
The distillery was founded in 1830 by Hugh and Kenneth MacAskill, and built in 1831 at Carbost after a number of false starts on other sites when they acquired the lease of Talisker House from the MacLeod of MacLeod. The distillery was rebuilt 1880-87 and extended in 1900. When a new lease for the distillery was negotiated with the chief of Clan MacLeod in 1892 the annual payment was to be £23.12s and a ten-gallon cask of best-quality Talisker. It was rebuilt in 1960 after a stillhouse fire completely destroyed the distillery. The distillery operates five stills; two wash stills and three spirit stills. All the stills use worm tubs (condensing coils) rather than a modern condenser, which are believed to give the whisky a "fuller" flavour (itself an indication of higher sugar content). During this early period, the whisky was produced using a triple distilling method, but
The A. Smith Bowman Distillery is a distillery that was originally based on the Bowman family's Sunset Hills Farm in Fairfax County, Virginia, USA, in what later became the planned community of Reston. It was founded in 1934, after the end of Prohibition, by Abram Smith Bowman and his sons, Smith and DeLong. In February 1988, it relocated to Spotsylvania County, near Fredericksburg, into a former FMC Corp. cellophane plant at One Bowman Drive, where operation continues as a microdistillery. The current A. Smith Bowman distillery is part of the Sazerac Company, which is a large privately-owned liquor producer with headquarters in New Orleans. It produces Virginia Gentleman bourbon and other products including non-bourbon whiskey, rum, vodka, and gin.
The building in which the distillery originally operated was constructed circa 1892, serving as the town hall for Wiehle, as well as a church. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the National Park Service in 1999, and has been the subject of several rezoning applications. A proposal to construct condominiums on the site was approved September 24, 2007. An earlier version of the proposal mentioned 8 units as new
Lagavulin Single Malt is an Islay single malt Scotch whisky produced at Lagavulin on the island of Islay, United Kingdom. The whisky has a powerful, peat-smoke aroma, and is described as being robustly full-bodied, well balanced, and smooth, with a slight sweetness on the palate.
The standard Lagavulin single malt is 16 years old (43%), though they regularly release a 12-year-old cask strength variety, a Distiller's edition finished in Pedro Ximénez casks, and 25- and 30-year-old varieties. A recent 21-year-old bottling, matured solely in first-fill sherry casks, has been extremely well received by enthusiasts.
Lagavulin is produced by United Distillers & Vintners, which in turn is owned by Diageo plc. It is marketed under their Classic Malts brand.
The name of Lagavulin is an anglicization of the Gaelic lag a'mhuilin, meaning "hollow by the mill".
The distillery of Lagavulin officially dates from 1816, when John Jonston and Archibald Campbell constructed two distilleries on the site. One of them became Lagavulin, taking over the other—which one is not exactly known. Records show illicit distillation in at least ten illegal distilleries on the site as far back as 1742, however. In
Glen Grant is a Speyside distillery, that produces single malt Scotch whisky. The distillery was owned by Chivas Brothers Ltd, best known for their Chivas Regal blended scotch whisky. It is the world's second-biggest single malt whisky brand.
Glen Grant was purchased by the Italian company Gruppo Campari in December 2005. It is the biggest selling single malt Scotch whisky in Italy.
Founded by two former illegal distillers and smugglers with the vision and ambition to establish what is today one of the most famous and most popular single malt whiskies in the world.
In 1840, brothers John and James Grant decided to take out a license. With the sea and port of Garmouth nearby, the River Spey at its feet and barley-growing plains nearby, all the basic ingredients of malt whisky were close at hand. Best of all, this time the distillery was legal!
By 1872, the founders of Glen Grant Distillery had died. Young James ‘The Major’ Grant, born in 1847, had always taken a keen interest in the distillery and having inherited the business and the title ‘Glengrant’ from his uncle John Grant, he was to prove himself a worthy successor.
Stories about ‘The Major’ abound. A legendary innovator,
Rogue Ales is an American craft brewery founded in 1988 in Ashland, Oregon. The following year the company opened their second brewpub in Newport, Oregon where they are now headquartered. They operate brewpubs in Oregon, Washington, and California. Rogue exports throughout the US and internationally. Rogue Ales have been described as "invariably fun and full flavored".
The company has also expanded into distilling as well, with micro distilleries in Newport and Portland.
The story of how Rogue came to be headquartered in an Oregon coastal fishing town is documented in an interview with CEO Jack Joyce. Joyce recalls visiting Newport at the suggestion of a partner (then director of the Port of Portland) who was acquainted with the Port of Newport director Mo Niemi, (owner of Mo's restaurant chain, long recognized as an "Oregon institution", Mo was as well known for her generous spirit as for her clam chowder) who was interested in operating a brewpub on the Newport waterfont in a property her family owned. Although Joyce, (who was stuck in town for four days due to a rare snowstorm on the coast) was initially skeptical about running a full fledged brewery, Niemi managed to convince
The Macallan is a brand of single malt Scotch whisky first distilled in 1824 at The Macallan Distillery near Easter Elchies House, at Craigellachie, in Moray. The Macallan is currently distilled and bottled by The Macallan Distillers Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Edrington Group which purchased the brand from Highland Distillers in 1999.
In 2009, the Herald reported that Macallan was "the world’s third largest-selling single malt (behind Glenfiddich and Glenlivet) with over 500,000 cases a year, and second largest by value." The Scotsman published a quote from Ken Grier on 16 August 2009, stating: "We have now overcome Glenfiddich to move into the second biggest selling single malt by volume behind Glenlivet" In 2011, Edrington Group reported that prior-year sales of The Macallan were up 8% to over 700,000 cases and the BBC also reported that an office was being opened in New York to continue growth in the American market.
Since the Scotch Whisky Regulations 2009 came into force labelling of bottles of Scotch whisky has been regulated, and currently produced bottles of The Macallan indicate it is a Highland Single Malt. However the website for the brand indicates that "The
The Dalmore is a distillery in Alness, Scotland, located about 20 mi (32 km) north of Inverness. The waters of the River Alness (River Averon), which runs through the village, are used to produce its whiskies.
The distillery is best known for producing a single malt scotch whisky of the same name. Its location and flavour qualify it as a "Highland malt". The Dalmore distillery is owned and operated by Whyte and Mackay Ltd, which is owned by United Breweries Group, a large Indian conglomerate.
The Distillery was established in 1839 by Alexander Matheson, a trader who made his fortune in illegal opium imports from the Far East. It sits on the banks of the Cromarty Firth overlooking the Black Isle, the "big meadowland", from which it takes its name. The distillery was bought by the MacKenzie family in 1886.
It has been passed down that in 1263, a predecessor of the Clan MacKenzie saved King Alexander III from a rampaging stag whilst out hunting. In reward, the King allowed him to bear the Royal emblem of a 12-pointed stag in his coat of arms. Recently, the MacKenzie motto Luceo non Uro or I shine, not burn has also been taken up by Dalmore.
In a renewed effort to popularise the brand,
Royal Brackla is a Highland Single Malt Scotch whisky produced by the Brackla Distillery, Nairn, Scotland. The distillery is operated by Dewar's for Bacardi.
The distillery was built in 1812 by William Fraser on the estate of Cawdor Castle, the scene of the death of King Duncan in William Shakespeare's Macbeth. In 1835, Royal Brackla became the first whisky to receive the Royal Warrant, by order of King William IV of the United Kingdom. The distillery was expanded in 1970, closed in 1985, and reopened in 1991.
Brackla has a mash tun (11.5t) and six wash backs with an added volume of 360,000 l. The distillery uses 4 stills to produce its whisky, two wash stills with together 44,000 l and two spirit stills with an overall volume of 42,000 l. The water comes from Cawdor Burn.
Suntory Holdings Limited (サントリーホールディングス株式会社, Santorī Hōrudingusu Kabushiki-Gaisha) is a Japanese brewing and distilling company group. Established in 1899, it is one of the oldest companies in the distribution of alcoholic beverages in Japan. Its business has expanded to other fields, and the company now offers everything from soft drinks to sandwich chains. Suntory is headquartered in Dojimahama 2-chome, Kita-ku, Osaka, Osaka prefecture.
On July 14, 2009, Kirin announced that it was negotiating with Suntory on a merger. On February 8, 2010, it was announced that negotiations between the two were terminated.
Suntory was started by Torii Shinjiro, who first opened his store Torii Shoten in Osaka on February 1, 1899, to sell imported wines. In 1907, the store began selling a sweet tasting red wine called Akadama Port Wine. The store became the Kotobukiya company in 1921 to further expand its business. In December 1924, Yamazaki Distillery, the first Japanese whisky distillery, began its production of malt whisky. Five years later Suntory Whisky Sirofuda (White Label), the first single malt whisky made in Japan, was sold.
Due to wartime shortage of World War II, Kotobukiya was briefly
Appleton Estate is a sugar estate and distillery in Jamaica that has been handcrafting rums since 1749. They produce a wide variety of aged rums, as well as standard gold and white rums. Located in the heart of the country's sugar cane belt, it is the oldest sugar estate and distillery in Jamaica. The Estate's sugar cane is harvested by machine as well as the old-fashioned way—by men wielding machetes. The Appleton Estate covers more than 11,000 acres (4,500 ha) of land.
The parent company, J. Wray and Nephew Ltd., also produces the popular Wray & Nephew White Overproof Rum.
The origins of the Appleton Estate go back to 1655 when the British took control of Jamaica from Spain, Rum production started on the island in 1749.
The Appleton Estate produces traditional pot still rums made in copper pot stills tropically minimum aged (youngest rum in blend listed obviously on the front of the bottle as the age statement) in American oak barrels.
The Appleton Estate Produce (in order of price/quality);
Appleton Estate V/X
Appleton Estate Reserve 8 year old (Minimum aged) NOT AVAILABLE IN ALL TERRITORIES
Appleton Estate Extra 12 year old (Minimum Aged)
Appleton Estate Master Blenders Legacy
Glenfarclas is a Speyside single malt Scotch whisky produced at the Glenfarclas Distillery in Ballindalloch, Scotland. Glenfarclas translates as meaning valley of the green grass. The distillery is owned and run by the Grant family. The distillery has six stills which are the largest on Speyside and are heated directly by gas burners.
The distillery has a production capacity of around 90,000 litres of finished whisky per year. Normally four stills are used for production with two kept in reserve.
The distillery has approximately 50,000 casks maturing on site, in traditional dunnage warehouses, with stock from every year from 1952 to the current year. Glenfarclas produce a traditional Speyside malt with a heavy sherry influence.
The distillery was first granted a license in 1836 when it was run by Robert Hay. In 1865 it was bought by John Grant and is still owned and run by his descendants, making it truly independent.
John L.S. Grant, who joined Glenfarclas in 1973, is the current Chairman. His son George S. Grant is Director of Sales. The company was named Distiller of the Year by Whisky Magazine in 2006.
Since 2006 Glenfarclas has been distributed in the UK by Pol Roger Ltd. In
Germain-Robin, based in Ukiah, California, is one of the highest rated alembic brandy makers in the world.
The distillery was founded in 1982 by Ansley J. Coale, a local rancher, and Hubert Germain-Robin, a native of Cognac, France.
Coale, a former Berkeley professor of ancient history, had bought 2,000 acres (809 ha) of farmland outside of Ukiah, named Eagle Ridge Ranch, in 1973. By chance, one day in 1981 he picked up Germain-Robin, who was hitchhiking throughout California in search of a location to make brandy. Germain-Robin came from a family that had been making cognac under the name Jules Robin & Company, but had recently sold the business to Martell, prompting Germain-Robin to leave.
Ronald Reagan was an aficionado of Germain-Robin brandies and reserved a number of barrels for the White House, which he served as a matter of national pride to visiting dignitaries such as Mikhail Gorbachev and François Mitterrand. The brandy was also served at Bill Clinton's inaugural ball
One innovation is that in Cognac, brandy is made mostly of the ugni blanc grape (known in Italy as trebbiano), which in the region makes a juice unsuitable for drinking as a wine. By contrast Germain-Robin
Irish Distillers is a subsidiary of the French drinks conglomerate Pernod-Ricard S.A.. It was acquired in 1988 in a friendly takeover.
Irish Distillers Group was formed in 1966, when a merger took place between Irish whiskey distillers John Power & Son, John Jameson & Son and the Cork Distillery Company.
In an attempt to reverse the decline in Irish whiskey sales, the board of directors decided to close the existing distilleries in Cork and Dublin, and to consolidate production at a new purpose-built facility. A site alongside the existing distillery in Midleton, Co. Cork was chosen as the location for the new distillery, as there was no room for expansion in Dublin.
In 1972, Bushmills, the only other whiskey distillery in Ireland at the time, joined the group. This gave Irish Distillers control over all whiskey production on the island of Ireland.
In July 1975 production ceased at the old Midleton distillery and began in the morning at the new Midleton complex. The old distillery has since reopened as a visitors' centre.
Following an early unsolicited takeover offer by GrandMet, Allied-Lyons and Guinness, Irish distillers was taken over by Pernod Ricard in June 1988.
Bruichladdich Distillery is a Scotch whisky distillery on the Rhinns of the isle of Islay. It is one of eight distilleries on the island.
It was featured in an episode of the BBC2 series Oz and James Drink to Britain, in which they were given a tour of the distillery and allowed to try some of the prized 'X4', quadruple-distilled Perilous Whisky, of which Martin Martin wrote in 1695 "the first taste affects all the members of the body; two spoonfuls of this last liquor is a sufficient dose; and if any man exceed this, it would presently stop his breath, and endanger his life. The BBC presenters used the ultra pure spirit to run a Radical racing car.
One interpretation of the Gaelic word Bruichladdich is "stony shore bank", referring to a post-glacial raised beach, though an alternative, perhaps more pertinent translation may be "rocky lee shore". Normally pronounced brook-lad-dee, or by some Gaelic speakers as broo-ee-clah-dee (depending on accent), it incorporates a specific, localised soft pronunciation of the Gaelic ch element.
Bruichladdich was built in 1881 by the Harvey brothers—William (32), John (31) and Robert (23)—on the shore of Loch Indaal, on the Rinns of Islay, the
Glengyle is a distillery, founded in 1872 by William Mitchell and completed in 1873. Mitchell had previously been involved with Springbank Distillery but following a quarrel with his brother John, with whom he owned Springbank, he first joined his other brothers at Reichlachan distillery before venturing out on his own.
In 1919 the distillery was sold as a result of the post-war economic downturn which was badly affecting all the distilleries in the Campbeltown Region. In 1924 the distillery changed hands again and by 1925 had ceased production with all remaining stock being sold off.
After being used as a rifle range, an attempt to reopen the distillery by Maurice Bloch, who, with his brother, also owned the Glen Scotia distillery, failed due to Second World War as did a second attempt by Campbell Henderson Ltd. in the 1950s.
In late 2000 the company of Mitchell's Glengyle Ltd. was formed with the express purpose of renovating and rebuilding the Glengyle distillery. Mitchell's are associated with the Springbank Distillery and both operations come under the guidance of Mr. Hedley Wright, a descendant of the Mitchell Family, the original owners of both businesses.
Over the next
Scapa is a small settlement and a Scotch whisky distillery situated on The Mainland of Orkney, Scotland on the shore of Scapa Flow near the town of Kirkwall. Scapa is the second most northern whisky distillery in Scotland, being half a mile farther south than the Highland Park Distillery.
The distillery has one wash still and one spirit still producing a single malt (unblended) whisky. It is an especially honey flavoured whisky, and less peaty than most Island Whiskies. This is because, though the water at the source is peaty, it gets transported to the distillery through pipelines to avoid more contact with the peat. Furthermore, the malt is not dried over peat smoke.
The distillery, founded in 1885 by Macfarlane & Townsend, was during the 1950s acquired by Hiram Walker & Sons Ltd (now part of Pernod Ricard) and rebuilt. In 1994 it was mothballed, and faced definitive closure in 2004. During that period, the most commonly available edition was the Scapa 12 years old, which was and still is a most distinctive island whisky for its subtle heathery honey plus sea taste. Still, it was decided to rebuild/restore the distillery, and the first new spirit in 10 years flowed in November
The Speyburn-Glenlivet Distillery was founded in 1897 by John Hopkins & Company for the sum of £17,000. The site was chosen by John Hopkins himself for its unpolluted water supply from the Granty Burn, one of the major tributaries to the River Spey. Hopkins appointed the famous distillery architect Charles C Doig to design the distillery and to this day Speyburn has its classic pagoda ventilator, a hallmark of Doig's design.
The proprietors, keen to have production started to ensure that the first fillings could bear the date 1897 - Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee - had scheduled production to begin on 1 November 1897. However, due to delays, the stills did not run until 15 December. When production finally began, the still house was without doors and windows. Under the watchful eye of the distillery's manager, John Smith, the first spirit was run off in a violent snow storm with the distillery men working in overcoats and mufflers to protect them from the elements. However, the proprietors succeeded in achieving their ambition and one butt was produced and bonded bearing the date 1897.
Speyburn Single Highland Scotch Malt whisky is exported throughout the world and it is
Tormore is a Speyside single malt Scotch whisky, distilled by the Tormore distillery, which is located approximately 1 km south of the River Spey. Its water source is the Achvochkie Burn.
The Tormore is one of the younger Scottish whiskies, the distillery construction began in 1958 and was completed in 1960. It was the first new distillery to be built in the country in the 20th century. Designed by Sir Albert Richardson for Long John International, it is a listed building, and one of the most architecturally striking distilleries. The building is made of granite, has copper rotors and a clock which plays 4 different Scottish songs each quarter of an hour. A village of workers houses were built in the same style, which was up for sale in its entirety in 2004, for offers over £550,000. The topiary hedges in the garden are also clipped to the shape of a bell or still.
In 1972, the distillery was expanded from four to eight stills. These were converted to be heated by wood chips in 1984, a by-product of area's forestry. Long John was absorbed by Whitbread & Co in 1975, and the distillery was acquired by Allied Distillers Ltd the same year. The Tormore distillery has been controlled by
Woodford Reserve is a brand of premium small batch Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey produced by the Brown-Forman Corporation. It is distilled at the company's Woodford Reserve Distillery, and marketed under the former company name for the distillery, Labrot & Graham. The distillery is located in Woodford County, in central Kentucky. Formerly known as Labrot & Graham's Old Oscar Pepper Distillery, the distillery is approximately eight miles from the town of Versailles off U.S. Route 60, between Interstate 64 and Versailles. Each bottle is numbered with a batch number and bottle number. Woodford Reserve's alcohol concentration is 45.2% alcohol by volume (90.4 US Proof). No age statement is listed on the bottle.
Distilling on the site began in 1797 and the distillery building itself was erected in 1838, making it the oldest of the nine bourbon distilleries in current operation in Kentucky as of 2010 – although the site has not been continuously operational as a distillery during that history. In 1995 the distillery was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and in 2000 it was designated a National Historic Landmark.
Originally established by Elijah Pepper, the distillery