New South Wales C30 class locomotive

Ranked #170 on the list Best Locomotive class of All Time

6.50
Based on 2 votes

About New South Wales C30 class locomotive

  • Locomotives of this class:
  • Parent class:
  • Built by:

The C30 class was a class of steam locomotive built for and operated by the New South Wales Government Railways of Australia. These 145 4-6-4T wheel arrangement locomotives were specifically designed to handle Sydney's ever increasing suburban traffic, particularly over the extremely heavy grades on the Northern, North Shore and Illawarra lines. The first batch of 35 locomotives was obtained from Beyer, Peacock and Company, being placed in service during 1903–1904. A further 60 engines were added between 1905 and 1917 from Beyer, Peacock and 50 from the New South Wales Government Railways' Workshops at Eveleigh. The electrification of the inner suburban lines resulted in a surplus of the class too valuable to scrap. Accordingly, between 1928 and 1933, 77 of these locomotives were converted to light tender 4-6-0 type locomotives and used to replace obsolete engines that were then operating on lightly built country branch lines. The remaining tank locomotives were mostly employed working Sydney's outer suburban, Newcastle and Wollongong suburban trains on locations such as the Camden, Richmond, and Carlingford Branch Lines, and the non-electrified sections from Campbelltown and

Comment on New South Wales C30 class locomotive

Voters

There are no voters yet.