The Midland Railway 156 Class was a class of 2-4-0 tender engines built at Derby Works between 1866–1874. In total 29 of the class were built under the Midland Railway and 21 survived to become part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) fleet of engines in 1923. By then they were reduced to the humblest of roles. The LMS recognised the significance of the class and number 156 itself was ear-marked for preservation but the decision was over turned and the engine scrapped in 1932. However fifteen years later one of its classmates was spared. One, 158A survives as a static exhibit in the Midland Railway - Butterley in Butterley, Derbyshire. The surviving example is not in as built condition. It has twice been reboilered and the front end rebuilt. The original tender was replaced a century ago.