Dailymotion

Ranked #21 on the list Best Internet Technology of All Time

9.33
Based on 3 votes

About Dailymotion

  • Web Link(s):

Dailymotion is a French video-sharing website on which users can upload, share and view videos. Its headquarters are in the 18th arrondissement, Paris, France. According to Comscore, Dailymotion is the second largest video site in the world after YouTube. As of October 2010, the site was getting over 93 million unique visitors monthly and is the 32nd most visited website in the world. Since February 18, 2008, the site supports video content that can play at 720p on a HD set, but the bit rate is significantly less than the 5–9 megabits for expected HD quality. On January 25, 2011, France Telecom's Orange entered exclusive negotiations with Dailymotion with a view to acquiring a 49% stake in the company for EUR 62M (hence valuing the company at EUR120M). According to LesEchos.fr, Orange is considering acquiring the remaining 51% of the company to fully own DailyMotion. This potential buyout couldn't exceed €72M, and the transaction date would occur during the first quarter of 2013. The founders of Dailymotion started the website from an apartment in Paris. The business launched from the living room of Olivier Poitrey, one of the founders. Six founders pooled together €6,000 ($9,271

Comment on Dailymotion