British Rail Class 486

Ranked #39 on the list Best Locomotive class of All Time

8.67
Based on 3 votes

About British Rail Class 486

  • Locomotives of this class:
  • Parent class:
  • Built by:

The British Rail Class 486 (or 3Tis) electrical multiple units were originally built for the London Electric Railway from 1923-31 as their 'Standard' tube stock. They were purchased by British Rail in 1967 and transported to the Isle of Wight to work 'mainline' services on the newly electrified Ryde to Shanklin line. At the time the units had already worked for over forty years on the London Underground, but their introduction allowed the final steam locomotives on the line to be withdrawn. Six three-car sets were refurbished by BR's Stewarts Lane depot in 1966-67. The units were initially classified Class 451 and numbered 031-036, later reclassified Class 486 and numbered 486031-036. A spare driving motor car was also refurbished, given the unit number 486037. Each unit was formed of a driving motor, an intermediate trailer, and a driving trailer. Thus, the formation was DMBSO+TSO+DTSO. When introduced, the units carried all-over BR blue livery. This progressed to standard blue/grey livery in the 1970s, and finally some units received Network SouthEast's blue livery with red and white stripes, following its introduction in 1986. Electric services on the Isle of Wight commenced on

Comment on British Rail Class 486

Voters

There are no voters yet.