The British Rail Class 116 diesel multiple units were built by BR Derby from 1957 to 1961. These units stayed in regular service until 1990, when they began to be withdrawn from traffic. They were replaced on regional services by the new "Sprinter" derivative units, or by Class 323 electric multiple units on services around Birmingham. The final units lasted in traffic until 1995, although a few saw further use in departmental service, as sandite or route-learner units. Several of this class have been saved for preservation. Three units were converted to carry parcels traffic and reclassified as Class 130, though the individual coaches were not renumbered. The units involved were: To provide extra capacity, they worked with modified General Utility Vans (GUV) as centre trailers. 5 vehicles have been preserved on heritage railways.